Friday, January 16, 2009

Oldie but a Goodie :)



Well, I finally just finished my first book since starting this blog. I had decided a few weeks ago that I was going to read everything that I was SUPPOSED to read in high school. So far, I've only read one book, "A Raisin in the Sun". But I greatly enjoyed it. I don't remember ACTUALLY reading it but i remember it was assigned at some point.
It's a play about a black family in the 1930's just trying to move from poverty and get beyond all the racism going on at the time. I loved how real the story was and how it depicted a time filled with hatred and ignorance. Though the whole play takes place in the small apartment of the Younger family, it is filled with characters of all backgrounds, generations and even color. I think that this is a great read for someone looking for something simple and short, as the language is easy to understand and the play is only about 150 pages.
I really felt connected to Beneatha, the younger sister of Walter Lee and sister-in-law to Ruth. She was trying to be a doctor, just like i am. She was trying to push ahead and make something of herself, like me. I felt that if I was born in the 30's, that I would probably be just like Beneatha, as I am somewhat like her now in this time. My favorite quote from the book is Beneatha explaining why she wants to be a doctor. I've never found a better way to describe my want to be a doctor. A friend of hers got hurt as a child; he split his face down the middle after hitting some concrete. She thought that he was going to die but the paramedics took him and when Beneatha saw him later, he was fine and he only had a small scar. She was astonished by what the doctors had done to him.
"That, that was what one person could do for another person, fix him up-sew up the problem, make him all right again. That was the most marvelous thing in the world...I wanted to do that. I always thought it was the one concrete thing in the world that a human being could do. Fix up the sick, you know-and make them whole again."
A great read and I'm looking forward to reading the many, many books that I was supposed to read in high school but didn't. Look out for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment