Sunday, March 1, 2009

One of the Best Reads Ever!




I know it's been a while since I've put up a new book. I apologize for that; school has been quite the time hog but in between homework, work and school, I've been reading a book that is out of this world. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, has been one of the most amazing books that I've ever read. It was the kind of book that you want to read quickly so that you can find out what happens in the end but you also want to savor every word on the page, maybe even read a page or chapter over again just to re-live the feeling you got when you read it for the first time.
Usually, I would tell the premise of the story; what era, the characters. But I can't do that with this book. I would LOVE to but it will not let me. Plus, my words would not do the writing in this book justice. This book fits into no categories, no previous plots that I've read, no authors that I've read. The closest author that I've gotten is Chuck Palahniuk because of the dark and morbid writing but even that pales in comparison. ( no offense Chuck!) So, instead, I'll tell you what I know about the writer and background of the book.
This is Andrew Davidson's debut novel, so don't go looking for more work :( The Gargoyle was a work 7 years in the making. ( I know, right) Andrew Davidson did countless hours of research for the book; researching things like old Japanese legends and the Bible. (that might give you some insight) It doesn't look like Andrew Davidson has anything in the works right now but my research could be wrong.
This is a great read for all. Those who love a good dark novel, a religious experience, a cynical narrator or the most amazing love story that not only crosses centuries but heaven and hell. An amazing read that I plan on reading many times in the near future.

2 comments: